Psychic Whispers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Psychic Whispers

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Psychic Whispers on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Psychic Whispers on your social bookmarking website
Most Viewed Topics
Ley Lines
Penhurst State School, Eastern Pennsylvannia
~ F ~ Symbols and Meanings
~ R ~ Symbols and Meanings
~ z ~ Symbols and Meanings
want yer own ghost box??
Magnolia Plantation - Louisiana : Part One
Lisa Williams in Australia and New Zealand in 2011..
Ghost lovers?
~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings
Affiliates
free forum

Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 552 on 2/12/2012, 6:38 pm

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dancing Bear
Admin
Dancing Bear

Leo Number of posts : 1239
Humor : Wicked
Registration date : 2008-12-28

~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  Empty
PostSubject: ~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings    ~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  Icon_minitime28/10/2010, 8:25 am

And also please specify what the symbol would pertain to..if anything..
It could apply to a variety of things, please say so!

If you are using information and Images taken from the internet.. Please state references and Url link.
Images must be Public domain Images (free to display anywhere without permission)
Or a photograph taken by yourself or friend and permission is given to display it.

If it is common knowledge then No referencing is necessary. Images still must be public domain though.

And Thankyou in advance for helping build our library of Symbolism.

Dancing Bear alien

(ps. Please let me know if you are having trouble posting images..)
Back to top Go down
http://www.dancingbearonline.com
Dancing Bear
Admin
Dancing Bear

Leo Number of posts : 1239
Humor : Wicked
Registration date : 2008-12-28

~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  Empty
PostSubject: Swastika   ~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  Icon_minitime7/2/2012, 8:54 am

The swastika has had a bad rap.. especially since Hilter adopted it for his army as a symbol of the Aryan Race. No reference that i have found refers the Swastika to the Aryan race. So its a new Invented Meaning to this ancient symbol.
The Swastika.
~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  Bluten10

Above is the Nazi Flag, the most common and first thought that comes to most minds when the swastika is mentioned.
Its ancient meaning Prior to Nazi Germany it is Good Luck, Used a lot by air pilots in the 1800's as a good luck charm

~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  Matild10

Right around the world this misunderstood symbol has many peaceful, beautiful meanings. rather than the immediate sinister one that conjures up in our minds.

In Hinduism the Swastika represents the God Ganesha

~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  20049310~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  Buddhi10

In American Native Indian culture the Swastika symbol is used both ways, clockwise and widdershins (counter clockwise)

Clockwise it represents the Sun, Widdershins it represents the moon.
On this pair of moccasins it would have the meaning of the sun.

~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  Nothin10

In this next image the Swastika was adopted by a Chinese organisation called the Red Swastika society, very similar to the western Red Cross..
Its concentrations was to help the poor, run soup kitchens and ensure education to underprivileged children.
~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  Red_sw10
More reading on the red swastika society

some older pieces of craftsmanship with the swastika come from Italy and Greece.

in one piece from Greece opposite facing swastikas are either side of the floral centre piece.
~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  180px-10

a Greek Helmet. 350-325 BC
~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  220px-10

a Greek Silver coin

~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  220px-12

Italian Pendant 700-650BC
~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  220px-13

Swasti means well being or so be it..

It was a symbol to evoke Shakti..
I cant really say it any better.. so
I have taken this quote from wikipedia..

"Historical use in the East

The swastika is a historical sacred symbol both to evoke 'Shakti' in tantric rituals and evoke the gods for blessings in Indian religions. It first appears in the archaeological record here around[22] 2500 BC in the Indus Valley Civilization. It rose to importance in Buddhism during the Mauryan Empire and in Hinduism with the decline of Buddhism in India during the Gupta Empire. With the spread of Buddhism, the Buddhist swastika reached Tibet and China. The symbol was also introduced to Balinese Hinduism by Hindu kings. The use of the swastika by the Bön faith of Tibet, as well as later syncretic religions, such as Cao Dai of Vietnam and Falun Gong of China, can also be traced to Buddhist influence."
; retrieved 7-2-2012 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
Indus Valley seals.. 2500BC

~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  170px-10

The swastika painted with vermilion.

This next image comes from an old western movie.. "On Desert Sands 1915" on this soldiers sleeve is the swastika symbol, On my research all over the net.. I can only come to the conclusion it was used as the symbol of good Luck..
an old runic meaning it means Victory.. so maybe this is also taken into account.
~ S ~ Symbols and Meanings  Tumblr10

References..

all images used in this page are believed to be in the public domain..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Red_Swastika_Society_member.jpg

http://publicdomainthing.tumblr.com/post/5934027186/on-desert-sands-cinema-collection-1915

Note:: I cannot remember where i found the runic meaning for the Swastika of "Victory".. I have read many many books , and researched Runes over the years.. All i do remember is , that it has been referred to as a symbol of Victory.. The celts used this symbol on their shields in battle along with Teiwaz the arrow symbol for spirtual warrior....an Ogham stone was also found with the symbol of the swastika upon it.. In Yorkshire there is an engraved stone called the Swastika stone.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Stone I know it was in my research of these regions for the runes , I found the meaning.. When i find the exact source of my statement i will post without delay..
Back to top Go down
http://www.dancingbearonline.com

Page 1 of 1